DMR MARC network is an all-digital group of over 500 DMR-MARC repeaters with over 115000 registered users. There are over 5300 registered DMR repeaters world-wide in the RadioID.net (Click Here) to register in the database today.
DMR uses two-slot 12.5 kHz Time-Division Multiple Access (12.5 kHz TDMA). This is not compatible with the FDMA mode. 12.5 kHz TDMA is a globally recognized, approved standard for the professional two-way radio market which is used in the amateur environment also.
12.5 kHz TDMA methods for achieving 6.25 kHz efficiency in the 12.5 kHz channels offer:
Twice the transmission capabilities, with decreased spectral congestion. In contrast, a 6.25 kHz FDMA approach doubles the number of RF carriers and in the process decreases the likelihood
of interference with existing systems.
Increased performance, reliability and functionality – while improving battery life by up to 40 percent compared to analog radio.
Two virtual channels that can be adapted on the fly to meet a wide range of needs, including increased capacity for voice calls and wireless data access, or for advanced control signaling during a call.
Standards-based platform, as 12.5 kHz TDMA is the recognized standard for professional and commercial two-way radio market in both Europe and the United States.
MotoTRBO DMR provides enhanced voice communication. When signal strength drops off with distance from the transmitter, analog signals become distorted, producing audible static as signal strength degrades.
BrandMaster/BrandMeister is an operating software for Master servers participating in a worldwide infrastructure network of amateur radio digital voice systems. If you are an amateur radio operator working in digital voice modes like D-Star, DMR, C4FM, APCO P25 or others (not all are supported yet!!).
Having the right Band conditions to make contacts is not a factor with DMR! DMR radio networks keeps you connected with other hams all over the World ..All Year Round! When HF band conditions are not favorable..DMR is a good alternative resource to stay in touch!
e 1. What is DMR?
DMR, which is short for Digital Mobile Radio, is a published standard for digital voice communications utilizing TDMA technology. There are several manufacturers that build DMR radio equipment, including AnyTone, Ailunce, TYT, Baofeng, Motorola, Kenwood, Vertex Standard, Kirisun, Hytera, Radioddity and Connect Systems to name a few.
2. What is MotoTRBO or TRBO?
MotoTRBO, or sometimes called TRBO for short, is the brand name for Motorola's DMR capable radios.
3. What are the benefits of using DMR?
The common benefits of using DMR include:
Crystal-clear audio without background noise or static;, Double the repeater load capacity with 2 voice or data time slots per 12.5 khz channel. Text messaging capability, Integrated voice and data applications on one device, Up to 40% longer battery life as compared to similar analog FM operation.
4. Who can I talk to using DMR?
Using DMR, you can talk to other thousands of other DMR users world wide using thousands of DMR repeaters located all over the globe. Unlike using IRLP or EchoLink where other repeaters are dialed-on-demand using a node number, DMR users can communicate with one another simply by selecting one of the available talkgroups or channels. The most commonly used talkgroups include: Wisconsin State (3155)
World Wide talkgroups, Regional talkgroups like SE WI Region (440), North American talkgroups, Locals, UK-Wide, Europe-Wide, World-Wide, UK English.
5. Does DMR provide better coverage than analog FM?
Yes up to 30 percent since its signal fade has error correction vs almost all noise from a analog signal. Once it becomes unusable you will have packet loss ( jitter sounds or audio holes ).
6. What special license will I need to be able to use DMR?
Users will only need their Technician class or higher Amateur radio FCC license and you should register with RadioID.net to be recognized as a valid Ham radio call sign operating on the DMR network. Without a registered DMR ID you may not be heard outside your local repeater coverage area until you do get one!
7. Is DMR compatible with D-STAR, Yaesu's digital radio Fusion, Astro P25 or NXDN?
No. These are separate digital technologies and are not compatible with one another. However, DMR has reflector Talk groups to communicate with these other ham radio digital users. 90 percent of Digital radio operation in the World is DMR..the other 10 percent is all the others!
8. How much does a DMR radio cost?
Most good dual band portables are about $170.00. Some more affordable HT dual band units are as low as $60.00. Mobiles range from $200.00 - $700.00 depending on brand name. Nice thing is 99 percent of DMR radios also have analog mode operation as well as DMR digital. Makes no sense to buy a analog mode only radio in today's market when for the same amount of money, you can get a DMR capable radio.